Sunday, February 21, 2010

Nakameguro






Nakameguro, located on the Tokyu Toyoko Line or the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line, is one of my favourite Tokyo suburbs. Here you can stroll along the cherry blossom lined canal, flick through art books (in English!), buy vintage clothes by weight (more about these places in Hello Sandwich Tokyo Guide coming soon) and eat organic food from Kyoto at Aoya. Potentially Tokyo's hippest suburb, Nakameguro is super popular with designers, artists, musicians and all round creative types and is, perhaps, the best suburb to ride around on your (rented?) Mamachari.






BONILL CAFE
1-15-8 Aobadai, Nakameguro-ku, Tokyo

Bonill is a clothing select shop by day and quaint little cafe+bar by night. Definitely worth popping in.






Photograph courtesy of Martin Evamy


Photograph courtesy of Martin Evamy

AOYA
1-15-10 Aobadai, Nakameguro, Tokyo.

Aoya
is a charming little cafe located in a Showa-era house tucked deep into Nakameguro's backstreets. Although it can be a little tricky to find (look out for the lantern just down the road from Bonill), you won't want to miss the 1200yen lunch set. The five grain rice here is to die for!






PASSE COMPOSE
1-1-52 Naka-Meguro, Meguro-ku, Tokyo

Pop into Passe Compose if you are in the market for some sweet French homewares and home accessories. Well, you can never have too many polka dot tea pots right?


More Tokyo tips like this will be in my Hello Sandwich Tokyo Guide coming soon! The Hello Sandwich guide will come complete with maps to make it much easier to get about! Phew!

Love Love
Hello Sando
xxx

17 comments:

  1. oh. I also blogged about Nakameguro recently but your photos are much prettier!! :) I must go try out AOYA some day. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, I loved Nakameguro when I was in Tokyo ! Can't wait to see your Tokyo guide :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you make me want to see japan SO BAD!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Ebony-chan, these are superb! I have itchy, itchy feet. Very excited about a Hello Sando Tokyo Guide, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Junkadelic! best tex mex other than Zest in Ebisu taht I've had since moving away from texas. Such a cute and fun restaurant. definitely a Japanese take on good food. http://www.bento.com/rev/2419.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You even make nakameguro look Hello Sandwichy, i love this set too!
    And that shop "1LDK" is my boyfriend's favourite shop in nakameguro. Did you see this shot of mine taken from inside of the shop?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hikihiki/3554446076/

    I want to see Hello Sando Tokyo zine hayaku!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! where I wanted to first live! nice one DA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend stays in a little apato in Nakameguro and I crashed in with her when I visited Tokyo. Love the area to bits! Gosh, I need to get there again! Can't wiat for your guide!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these pics, really enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely photos. Very なつかしい. I lived in Ebisu Nishi when we were in Tokyo, so Nakame was just down the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just came across your blog.
    your pictures from japan literally put me into tears. you see, it's my home. i grew up there. and i left my heart there to go to college here in the states.

    i don't think i've ever been this homesick.
    i really like your blog. i love your love for japan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much for this tour in Tokyo! I love the green tiles in front of the shop (2nd pic): never saw such kind of architectural design before!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me encanto tu pag-web tienes fotos de lo mas curioso e interesante de japon que son las calles y aceras de un dia cotidiano. gracias y sigue asi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok, so now i really really want to spend some time in that particular neighbourhood:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. your guide is superb!
    always great street shots.
    thank you for sharing EVERYTHING. i feel like i get to live in tokyo vicariously through you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just stumbled across your blog and I am very excited! We are planning for our first stay in Japan later this summer. Looking forward to your guide, and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete