Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Ishinomaki

 photo 891447_324137071095700_1661336199_n_zpsebd88a38.jpg

The above photo shows the water level line from the 2011 tsunami.

It was my first time ever to visit Tohoku for my mt workshop, and the sweetest Aya-san drove me up to Ishinomaki on my last day. It was incredibly surreal to imagine just how horrific the tsunami must have been. Aya-san lives in Shiogama which was also hit badly in the tsunami and as we drove to Ishinomaki she told me stories about evacuating on the day it happened.

Here are a few photos of Ishinomaki as it currently is. I adored it's little retro shops, cute street names, back streets and seaside location. As Hiro says 'You know it's about to rain when you can smell fish'.

 photo DSCF6439_zpsd966be6b.jpg

 photo DSCF6450_zps1ab255d7.jpg

 photo DSCF6442_zps2f2b6f49.jpg

 photo DSCF6433_zpsd5ad54d4.jpg

 photo DSCF6437_zps98589a39.jpg

 photo DSCF6435_zps9e8e5c68.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see in this small picture, but the division on the door is black and white diagonal stripes! So many great colours and shapes. I wish I could make this Hello Sandwich studio! Imagine crafternoons here, and little pop-up shop openings with people spilling out onto the street gathering and laughing together!

 photo DSCF6443_zps046b3464.jpg

 photo DSCF6527_zpsec7c2526.jpg

 photo DSCF6447_zps56f416f8.jpg

 photo DSCF6465_zpsdefeac6f.jpg

One of the main streets in Ishinomaki city. You might have seen this street on the tsunami footage :*(

 photo DSCF6548_zpsb3fc4a1d.jpg

 photo DSCF6452_zpsfab57570.jpg

 photo DSCF6455_zpsd070780f.jpg

 photo DSCF6521_zpsf8e0b2f8.jpg

 photo DSCF6470_zps6c6ee65a.jpg

Love this yasai shop. And those boxes with love hearts!

 photo DSCF6474_zpsdf13551f.jpg

Cutie Aya-san and I picked up some nashi pears for Hiro.

 photo DSCF6466_zpsf7e32c54.jpg

Get this sign into my house!

 photo DSCF6480_zpsc04cf211.jpg

Retro coffee sign.

 photo DSCF6536_zpsb995f9c7.jpg

 photo DSCF6535_zps5ed22f3a.jpg

 photo DSCF6538_zps77799cdb.jpg

 photo DSCF6500_zps71a75738.jpg

 photo DSCF6505_zps6f387e20.jpg


Aya-san and I found some retro tins in this little supermarket. One of the tins was filled with 50 eggs. I really just wanted it for the tin as a prop for my new book but the store owner really wanted to confirm that we knew that there were 50 eggs inside this tin and made us ensure that we were comfortable with using them up in time. She even gave us some tips on how to put the eggs into some tupperware after opening and every few days add some water to the tupperware container.


 photo DSCF6508_zpsc7d69a89.jpg

THIS was the shop interior. Super adorable.

 photo DSCF6515_zps98955a66.jpg

So, so great.

 photo DSCF6541_zps10516430.jpg

On a little walk around we found a few amazing new initiatives helping rebuild the community.

This is MakiBiz who have been working together with Architecture For Humanity. 

The MakiBiz mission statement:

MakiBiz seeks to create a community gathering space to bring together all generations of the affected area to collaborate on a new model of post-tsunami recovery that can be used throughout Tohoku region. MakiBiz provides expert advice on design, construction, and business development services to affected communities in support of their efforts at building back better.


You can read more about the incredible project here.

 photo DSCF6543_zpsca31432d.jpg

 photo ScreenShot2014-09-09at120913AM_zps557bbd1e.png


I have signed up to volunteer and I hope they will allow me to go and host craft workshops in Ishinomaki.

 photo 10608054_312876162228190_76911399_n_zpsa9840d57.jpg

On my trip to Ishinomaki, Aya-san introduced me to her incredibly talented friend Hiro. There is practically nothing that Hiro can't do. He built this home / studio by himself in eight months, he is a brilliant cook, he is a gardener, artist, designer, zine maker, community worker, music maker...

And of course he is incredibly kind, even offering to drive me back to Sendai for my shinkansen so I could stay longer in Ishinomaki.

 photo DSCF6550_zps67419161.jpg

Hiro-san really made me rethink my current practice and life in general. One of those special life changing moments. He did a three month artists residency in Ishinomaki after the disaster and while on his residency he became friends with the owner of this building (pictured above). He asked the owner if he could build a house on the ground floor of this building and live there. All went well and he moved from Yokohama to Ishinomaki to document the changes in the community.

At first sight, Hiro's home looks like a cute Tokyo cafe, or a cute book shop, with it's outside bench seat, large studio table and shop-style glass window doors. It wasn't until I went to the bathroom and saw a washing machine that I asked Hiro-san "Do you live here?" and he replied "Yes! There's a small bedroom out the back". His house is EXACTLY how I would design my dream home if I could. A tiny bedroom and a giant room with a giant table and a giant computer screen and loads of books and design materials.

Curious as to why Hiro-san's space featured large window doors and a mini shop shelf (as seen below) when it was in fact a residential space, Hiro-san explained that it was to invite the community members in so that he could chat with them and become friends with them. He tells heartwarming stories about local residents who pass and see his light on and ask "What are you cooking for dinner tonight?"..."Curry!" replies Hiro-san. And within a few hours the neighbour returns with meat and beer and they enjoy a meal together.

When I heard this story I almost cried. This is what life is all about.

 photo DSCF6553_zpsf50bbbaa.jpg

A truly wonderful and eyeopening trip to Ishinomaki. Thank you Aya-san and Hiro-san!

I can't wait to return to Tohoku!

Love Love
Hello Sandwich
xoxo

9 comments:

  1. Oh thank you for this story abotu Hiro and a brilliant place to live.. He sounds like a magnificent being, and your pictures of his place sur do show some beauty.
    I've been reading your blog since... 1875? or something, and it keeps making my days, and bringing dreams and desires to my mind.
    Merci beaucoup! Please keep on and on and on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment! Yes, an amazing human being indeed!

      Ha ha 1875 - I love it! That's so kind of you to take the time to comment! Thank youuuuuuu!

      Delete
  2. I received this divine email from Susan in Chicago:

    Hello Ebony,

    I've been following your blog for awhile, and by now I can't actually remember how I found Hello Sandwich in the first place!
    I really enjoy your enthusiasm for Japan and your photos- I look forward to seeing what small, quiet moments in life you capture.
    Your blog today really touched me; you wrote about Hiro's home and how he said neighbors stop by spontaneously and they'll all have dinner together (curry, anyone?). Your comment about this really being life was so true. Thanks for sharing your appreciation of these moments in life- the heartwarming connecting moments between friendly souls:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photographs! Love the colours and textures... so interesting. What a wonderful place! very inspired....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice to enjoy your lovely pics and interesting stories before sleeping like I do most of the time.
    Just very curious to the can with 50 eggs!!!! How is that possible?
    You have a picture?��

    Good night !
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. I love to see all these places and people and stories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sandwiches,

    I am going to Toyko and I would love a Guide... please please please tell me you have 1 copy for me , i am a petit little sandwich that would love to have one.. sniff sniff

    ReplyDelete